Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 1

The Amazon and the station (CICRA) is awesome. The people are totally friendly and a bit crazy--but they have to be a bit crazy to WANT to come out here. :) So far I haven't been eaten alive and I only have one mammal living in my cabin. There's some sort of marsupial and a poisonous frog that exudes some incredibly sticky goo when you touch it and it lives in the drain of my sink. Other than that..I love it. We (researchers, volunteers, cooks, trail workers, etc) play a lot of soccer in our free time, so I'm already in better shape than before.

I won't be sending any photos anytime soon since the internet's pretty slow and there are more people using it than normal due to a college class coming here for 10 days. There are about 50 people here overall. It's not too hot...but good grief, I've already worn all my clean clothes because it's soooo muggy. Not a single thing is dry...things will start molding by next week. I'm told it's inevitable. I believe it. However the adventure of the moldy socks will come another night. It's time for bed...breakfast is at 6 and the power is shut down at 10 pm to conserve what the solar panels have collected for breakfast since the cooks are awake before the sun peeks through the fog.

Oh yeah..so I saw a 26 foot anaconda today. That was both terrifying and completely amazing. Apparently it had eaten because it was basking in the sun and didn't flinch when we arrived. Normally they're extremely shy creatures and people can stay for months without seeing one...day one for Frances: stand six feet from a 26 foot anaconda with a trunk thicker than her waist. Thrilling, huh?

No comments: